2.16.2005

A reason for blogging

I think I saw a stat that said only like 30 percent of the population even knows what a blog is, and I think its safe to say plenty of that percentage don't really get it at all. But people start blogs all the time, seeking something, perhaps fame and recognition, or maybe they're just really good writers and want to share, etc. Who knows. For me, its a little recognition (why not), the fantasy of it becoming something bigger or better than myself. But most certainly as a way to get my thoughts down on 'paper' and journal my thoughts and events.

More that writing a blog, I'm fascninated with reading them, again probably a little bit just to live vicariously through other people - I'm kind of boring. I have loved reading news for quite a while - I've had subscriptions since my junior year in high school. I frequent many of the blogs listed in my blogroll and now I have an RSS reader on the home iMac. Yesterday I was half a day behind and had 71 entries to read - granted I've heard some people read hundreds of blogs a day but I think thats excessive.

Yesterday however, I read this and it totally became clear to me why I like reading blogs. Some people like to believe in a higher power and all that supernatural jazz, but I like to believe in humanity. I find it so much more powerful, and, well tangible. One person's trial and tribulations and following success can make so much more of an impact than any number of hours in a church, etc. I suppose its really pretty much the same thing, I substitue one story for another but a fine line exists nonetheless and one I prefer. Thanks Dan for sharing.

No comments: