8.28.2006

Minneapolis picks Wi-Fi firm

Well it looks like my account with Earthlink's test network is for not. I was rooting for them, mostly because they placed an antena right outside my house, but they've also played friendly with Macs as well. But it seems the local guy will be getting the contract instead. But what I'm most concerned about is the StarTribune's report that a "special wireless model for $75 or $5/month will be required" to connect to the network. What is that about?! Can't we just use our wireless cards to access it?! I hope its just a journalists lack of knowledge about the technology.

2 comments:

michael lewis said...

Dude, sounds like WiMAX, not WiFi.

Which is completely STUPID!!!

Rogers (and Bell, but who cares about them?) has a similar deal up north, it's called "portable internet".

Unknown said...

You are correct sir. They will actually be developing Wifi and WiMAX networks as the technology develops.