12.07.2004

I love my job

After losing my previous job in June from an employer I was more than glad to be leaving, I accidently found my way into a marketing position for a little insurance brokerage. I wasn't all that excited to be working in insurance, but it hasn't been all that bad and I get free health insurance - so bonus!

At my previous post, I was master of slack. I often came into work late, sometimes as much as 90 minutes late and no one seemed the wiser. I worked as little as possible, and for the most part did a great job somehow. But like most people I worked with, I didn't care one flippin' bit about the job or the company - free checking or not.

Finally the day came, a meeting had been set just before the end of my day and it could mean only one thing. They knew it and now I did too since they emailed me the meeting invite right away in the morning. It as perfect, gave me all day to clear out my personal belongings, (and a few company ones too) and most importantly I had all day to post for jobs. In fact, I scheduled a first interview for the next afternoon.

The meeting came and went, they offered a box but I had that all taken care of already. I was free. I was elated, finally gone from that place I had come to hate so much. Why hadn't I left sooner, I don't know. Fear or something, or maybe I was just too lazy. Regardless the time had come and I was on my way home. To make a long story short, I quickly followed the next day's interview with a second and just six days later I had a job. It couldn't have turned out better for me, hell I didn't even get to file unemployment.

And now today, I can't stop thinking about work. Its usually the first thing on my mind when I wake and sometimes the last before bed. I check my work email, and I'm often taking notes. After Thanksgiving weekend when people were oh so uneager to get back to the 'grind' I was chipper as hell waiting for Sunday to end so I could rush off to work.

Sometimes when I'm there it gets boring, or things just aren't going my way but all in all I love it. I went to school for marketing, and though I wondered if I was educated well at all, I've used much of what I've learned on a daily basis. Then again, I've discovered a few shortcomings in my education and might have to get those squared away sometime soon.

No comments: