1.21.2005

I finally did it!

I've been living in Minneapolis for going on three years now, and St. Paul the four years before that, and never have I taken the public bus system. It just happens today we had our first real snow storm, the lastest in the season since 1945 or something like that. I left work an hour early today, since the snow had been coming down heavy since the morning, and headed out onto one of the many highways here in the city. Some 2 1/2 hours later I arrived home on a trip that normally would have only lasted 30 minutes on a good day. Ugh.

Alas, my father's 50th birthday was this week and I needed to get him a gift in time for his visit. (He's visiting to check out the new house - I'm not that mean.) As you might imagine I wasn't about to hop back in my car, especially knowing what roads I would need to take. And since we now have this new light-rail light that connects downtown to the Mall of America, and since I live so close to downtown, we headed off to our local bus stop downtown. Connected to the train, off to the mall and repeated the steps in reverse to get home. Unfortunately doing the whole length of the light rail takes a hell of a long time, and the buses start running with growing infrequency. Overall though it wasn't too bad of a trip - a good alternative to driving in this winter storm of ours. Ahh, yes. Fun times.

No comments: