3.16.2003

Gay Standard Time

Why are many gay men always late? Melissa had commented on this many times before, because all the gay guys she knows are always late, and it doesn't matter the event. I'm totally guilty of this all the time, although lately I've been getting to work with lots of time to spare. Are we fussing with our hair for too long, even-though we have considerably less? Is our sense of style so defined we have to go through several revisions of our outfits? Could it be all of these? Personally I had a huge problem getting to meetings and classes on time, and of course I wouldn't walk in late so I missed a lot. A few months ago I caught five minutes of Dr. Phil - I'm not a fan mind you - and he was talking with someone who finds themselves perpetually late for things. He suggested it has to do with arrogance and a lack of respect for the other people we're late meeting. Lack of respect is not an issue, but I'll admit arrogance can sometimes get the best of me especially with lame classes I don't want to attend. My friend Dan has a theory, its called GST or Gay Standard Time, kind of an all encompassing excuse without solid merit but still used unequivocally. Joe on the other hand simply says its because we need to get pretty - hmmm which sounds better? I'm going with GST - don't question the GST.

No comments: