11.30.2004

O' Canada!

I was off to Canada for the Thanksgiving weekend visiting friends and family, and every time I go there I seem to learn something new that makes the county even better. I've always said life is in the details, and boy does Canada have the details down. For example, and perhaps this is just me but I was nonetheless amazed, one can perform routine government services such as purchase new vehicle tags at one amounts to an ATM-like machine at their local mall. It included all sorts of service like changing your address or getting a new health card printed. I don't know, this thing seemed to make so much sense, I wonder why we don't have something like it here. It would beat heading to the DMV hands down.

Canadian off and on ramps are also better laid out. Here in Minnesota cars are getting off and on the highway at the same time in the same location, often making for heroing weaving just to make it. Traffic inevitably slows down, especially during rush hour, and we're all left waiting to get home because some engineer decided to cut corners. (Which from his perspective is probably a good thing since it will mean even more projects to fix the first one.)

OH! And why does Canada have all the really cool phones. One can barely find any Sony Ericsson phones around here, but they have like all of the versions available. Damn them and their European roots!

Would be quite interesting if they adopt the Euro?!

No comments: